The first awareness that radio existed must have been in the 1940's  when my father proudly  brought home a new Ekco Radio in a very smart case and it had not only Long and Medium wave reception but also two short wave  bands as well  which as I grew older became an adventure to discover channels near and far.    Bear in mind that at that time Priding and Arlingham did not have mains electricity!  So added to the problem of setting it up he had to go to the Garage at Saul and buy two batteries.. firstly a High Tension Battery which was a dry battery, quite expensive but lasted possibly over a year.

The second battery was a square glass jar called an accumulator which was low voltage but, BUT you cannot have it until Monday because it has to be charged up!

Two more essential tasks before you could continue listening to the radio.. Next time at Saul Post Office the need to buy a Wireless licence ( No one had Television) for one year and then to Frampton Garage to encourage Mrs Evans to supply you with a regular supply of  freshly recharged Wet Accumulators. 

‚ÄčI am unsure of the frequency these batteries needed refreshing but every couple of weeks this lady would turn up and swop the accumulator. I never remember money changing hands but I am sure it did.

Radio at Rosemead

With all of this completed and the batteries installed the set worked and life in Rosemead was transformed. Firstly I do not think we missed a news broadcast and the shipping forecast  Forth, Tyne, Dogger, German Bight I could memorise them before I could do my nine times table.  Into my teen years there was radio Luxembourg 208meters. That was almost illegal because... you were listening to a NON BBC programme and it had Rock and Roll.

The delay did not matter because there were two more tasks to be achieved before you listened to anything. With Brace and Bit,  father put two holes in the window frame because on the back of the set were two for the earth  which was a bare wire that went out of the window to a large metal rod which he had thumped until it disappeared into the ground. The second was for the aerial, the science of which was only known to Marconi.  He ran a cable as far as the ridge of the bungalow  then attached an insulator and an open wire which he took almost the full length of the garden then with ladder and struggle he climbed the elm tree to attach a chain and another insulator and strung the aerial wire between the magnificent ceramic insulators.  Connecting the insulated wire to the aerial, Job done